Ocean City Misdemeanor Lawyers
Defending Clients in Ocean City, Annapolis & Throughout Maryland
In Maryland, offenses are categorized into two main categories: felonies and misdemeanors. A misdemeanor is typically considered a less severe crime than a felony but should not be taken lightly. They can still lead to serious penalties, including fines and imprisonment, and a conviction that can have lasting consequences on your personal and professional life.
These offenses might appear minor, but a conviction can lead to a criminal record that can impact potential employment opportunities, housing applications, and more. Because of this, you should seek legal advice as soon as possible.
At the Law Offices of Murphy & Price, our experienced team of criminal defense attorneys is committed to providing you with a solid and effective defense. We can leverage our extensive experience in helping you fight back to preserve your future.
Reserve your free case evaluation with an Ocean City misdemeanor attorney at our firm by contacting a team member at (410) 862-0351.
Proven & Effective Criminal Defense Representation in Maryland
At the Law Offices of Murphy & Price, we understand the seriousness of misdemeanor charges and their significant impact on your life.
Our experienced criminal defense attorneys are committed to providing you with a solid and effective defense. We work diligently to protect your rights and fight for the best possible outcome, backed by decades of practice in the courts.
Misdemeanors in Maryland
Misdemeanors can carry a wide range of jail and prison time, depending on the nature and severity of the offense. Many are punishable by less than a year. However, others can carry years of incarceration, including up to 10 or 20 years.
Examples of misdemeanors include but are not limited to:
- Assault in the second degree: This includes causing physical injury to another person and can lead to penalties of up to 10 years in prison or a fine of up to $2,500, or both.
- Theft of property valued at less than $1,000: This can result in imprisonment for up to 18 months, a fine of up to $500, or both.
- Disorderly conduct: This broadly covers behavior that disturbs the peace, such as fighting in a public place, and can result in imprisonment for up to 60 days, a fine of up to $500, or both.
- Possession of a controlled dangerous substance: This can lead to imprisonment for up to four years, a fine of up to $25,000, or both.
- Vandalism: This refers to the intentional destruction of property and can lead to imprisonment for up to 60 days, a fine of up to $500, or both.
- Reckless Driving: This involves driving in a manner that shows a reckless disregard for others’ safety. Penalties can include imprisonment for up to 60 days, a fine of up to $1,000, or both.
- Driving Under the Influence (DUI): This offense involves operating a motor vehicle while impaired by alcohol or drugs. A first-time DUI offense can lead to imprisonment for up to one year, a fine of up to $1,000, or both.
Certain circumstances or factors in Maryland can enhance a misdemeanor, leading to more severe penalties. These factors include but are not limited to:
- Repeat Offenses: If you have previous convictions for the same or similar offenses, your misdemeanor could be enhanced, resulting in a harsher sentence.
- Severity of the Crime: The severity of the crime, including the level of harm or damage caused, can also influence sentencing. For example, a simple assault could be enhanced if the victim sustained serious injuries.
- Use of a Weapon: If a weapon was used or present during the commission of the crime, it is generally considered an aggravating factor that can enhance the charges and lead to harsher penalties.
- Vulnerable Victims: Crimes committed against vulnerable individuals, such as children or the elderly, may result in enhanced charges and penalties.
When facing enhanced charges with potentially steeper penalties, it is even more critical to work with a criminal defense attorney who is well-versed in Maryland law and who will aggressively fight for optimum results.
Personalized Legal Representation for Your Case
At Law Offices of Murphy & Price, we understand that every legal case is unique and requires personalized attention. Our team of experienced attorneys is dedicated to providing individualized representation to each client, ensuring that their specific needs and concerns are addressed throughout the legal process.
When you choose our law firm, you can expect:
- Thorough understanding of your case
- Customized legal strategies
- Regular communication and updates
- Compassionate and supportive guidance
- Aggressive advocacy for your rights
Whether you are facing a personal injury claim, criminal charges, family law matters, or any other legal issue, our Ocean City misdemeanor attorneys are committed to fighting for the best possible outcome for your case. Contact us today to schedule a consultation and discuss your legal needs.